Monday, March 9, 2009

The Best Organizing Concept of All Time

Here's what Byron Katie says in her little book, Byron Katie on Work and Money, about organizing your house:

"The whole world will tell you that you shouldn't be messy. This is our religion. But all the punishment in that concept, "I shouldn't be messy," hasn't worked yet. A messy mind is a messy life. It's hopelsss to try to clean up your house, your office, your desk. But if you clean up your thinking, then it's effortless for your office and your house to be clean. You work with the mind, and your life gets transformed. The mess in your office is not the problem. Your boss can say, "I'll give you a million dollars if you clean up your mess for one year," and that still won't work, because you don't know how. "I need to clean up my mess"? I need to clean up my thinking. There isn't anything else to clean up, and the rest will follow."

Isn't that cool? So, for me and all of you out there who feel like your house or your workspace or your garage are totally, hopelessly full of un-sortable crap, this is some seriously good news! You see, all we have to do is self-therapy.

Of course reading this blog is also totally essential - don't get me wrong!!

Now, an example of how I've already found what Byron Katie says to be true:

It just so happens that since I realized what I want to do with my life, I have hardly noticed messes and piles that used to BE my life. Now they are just things that do or do not have to do with what I am trying to accomplish. And also, things are shifting around and leaving the apartment and everything just seems so much easier since I started thinking of my "mind clutter" being the only real problem.

And the best part is, that to clean up your "mind clutter," you are probably better off just leaving your house or office anyway! Like by going with your pen and notebook to a coffee shop instead, or going for a meditative walk along the river. So now you can grab your coat and say, 'Bye, honey, I'm going out to get the house clean now! Every day this week!"

Organizing is so easy.

No comments: