Wednesday, March 4, 2009

A Fascinating Read


Alright, this book might seem generic because it IS a national bestseller AND it's used by corporate America. However, it's based on the zen idea that you need to have a "mind like water" that can operate smoothly and undisturbed by panic and worry.

Sooo. . . I would definitely recommend this book to anyone with heavy right-brain tendencies. I will admit to you right now that I do not have his system "down" and I'm not sure I ever will. However, I do have the basic structure in place and it truly is liberating. If nothing else, you could read it to see what's possible, but I think you'll end up wanting to overhaul your entire house or office!

Even though we have moved three times since I read this book, and even though I have two little kids I'm with all day long (one of whom climbs my shelves up to the ceiling, and empties out my files and throws them all over the floor), I am still using pieces of this book every day. My "boquet" inbox, which I posted about recently, would probably even be approved by David Allen.

Here are the things, off the top of my head, that I got out of the book and am still using:

1. I gave myself permission to add two more file cabinets to my collection.
2. I now only use file cabinets which automatically click shut, which roll smoothly open and closed.
3. I now make files for every single piece of paper in my inbox, if there isn't one already made.
4. I now have a desktop hanging file system (though I had to put mine way up high, rendering it much less useful, sadly) which has files for every month, plus my most important other files, such as: Projects, At Computer, Errands, Someday/Maybe.
5. I make heavy use of my Someday/Maybe file!
6. I now have my own labelmaker handy at all times, and a big stack of unused file folders, too.

Now, since moving the last time I will admit I haven't even gone through my inbox even once! And that's since last June, when we left for a summer-long camping trip, actually. BUT. . . I do not feel oppressed by my inbox in the slightest, because I know all my stuff is in my "trusted system." One of these days I'm going to do the "Wine and Taxes" thing and get a bottle of wine (or maybe several, and lots of popcorn, too, and some pizza and some good CDs) and spend a weekend going through my inbox until it's empty and then I will feel invincible!

I'm sure this book will come up a lot in the future. I just wanted to put a plug in for it now because since it is the basic structure for my "home office" if you can call what I have a "home office" and it's also a basic structure I use in order to organize my thoughts and my life.

No comments: